Applying for Courses
The application Registration Status on your personal business card is your point of reference when you are applying for courses.
1. Click on the application Registration Status in the Application Menu.
2. The application Registration Status will open. In a tabular overview, you will see your studies.
- If you are studying one subject, this subject will be shown.
- If you are studying more than one subject, you will see your complete degree programme on the first row, followed by the individual parts of your degree programme (see screenshot below). Clicking the view of your complete degree programme shows e.g. the module for your final thesis as well as courses offered within the framework of the "Studium Integrale".
Please note: If you are a MA student, your bachelor studies will also be displayed in this application if you completed your undergraduate studies at the University of Cologne (see screenshot below). In this case, follow the columns "Name of Degree Programme", "Status" (registered or closed) and "Subject-Specific Semester".
3. To view the structure of the individual parts of your degree programme's curriculum, click on the corresponding Curriculum Number in the column "Curriculum".
4. The curriculum will then be shown in the form of a tree structure (curriculum tree) in the window "Curriculum Support".
In the tree structure, you will see the modules of your degree programme as specified by the subject-specific annotations to your exam regulations (SPO-version). By clicking on the "+/-"-Symbols, you can expand or collapse the curriculum structure.
In some cases, ...
there may be no curriculum information in KLIPS 2.0. This means that the information has not yet been added to KLIPS 2.0.
the notification "Calculation of results not completed yet" appears above your registration status. In this case, opening the tree structure is temporarily impossible. Normally, the calculation of your results should be completed overnight.
individual module and exam nodes will not be shown. In this case, the missing nodes are possibly inactive. More information about inactive nodes can be found in the here.
5. To apply for a course during the application period, navigate through the curriculum tree until you find your course of choice and click on the green arrow () that is to the right of the title of the course. For better planning, the columns "Lecturer (Assistant)" as well as "Place" and "Time" of the first session of a course are shown.
6. The window "Course Registration - Select Degree Programme and Node of Curriculum Version" will appear. In the selection field Degree Programme, you will see your chosen subject, as well as the section of your curriculum tree where the course you are applying for is offered.
Please note: If the course you are applying for is offered within the framework of multiple modules, you can change the context of the module and take the course within the framework of a different module (see the screenshot under step 7): the chosen course can be taken within the framework of the module "Deutschdidaktik" or the module "Forschung und Vermittlung".
7. Activate the Choice Box of the exam node in which you would like to take the course.
8. Click on Continue.
9. The window "Course Registration - Select Group" will appear. Please note the following information:
Please note: Courses in KLIPS 2.0 are classified according to "Course Groups". Registrations are therefore always assigned to a course group. In the simplest scenario, a course has one course group, usually the "Standardgruppe" ("Standard Group").
Please note: If the course offers multiple course groups, you can, depending on the procedure to determine the sequence of admissions, apply to more than one of the available course groups.
Please note: On the right hand side in the column "Time/Place (1st Date)", the date of the first class of the course is displayed. If you hover the mouse over the clock symbol, in addition to the time, the room will also be displayed. By clicking on the clock symbol, the window "Course Dates" will open and display all dates on which the course takes place.
Please note: In the column "Participants Max. (Plan.)", you can see how many places are available in each group. In the column "WL", you are able to see the number of applications for a given course group at this time.
Please note: If you would like to find out more about the allocation of places in KLIPS 2.0, you can view the procedure that determines the sequence of admissions for your course. Detailed information can be found here.
10. Activate the checkbox anmelden ("register") beside the preferred group and then click on Register.
11. The page will then be updated. Under "Current Status" at the top of the page, you will see all the groups for this course for which you have applied. You can also withdraw applications for courses here.
Please note: Applying for a course group ("Course Place Request" or "Waiting List") does not mean that you will necessarily get a place in this course ("Confirmed Place").
The status "Course Place Request" (see "Status") means that you will be considered in the allocation phase that follows. Shortly after the start of the allocation process you will see the first status updates in KLIPS 2.0. These are, however, not final. The official publication of the results of the application phase determine for which courses you have received a place ("confirmed place").
For detailed information about the allocation of course places please check the chapters "Allocation of Places"and "Allocation Results".