Applying for Studium Integrale and Extracurricular Courses
Studium Integrale (SI) is an obligatory part of all bachelor degree programmes of the University of Cologne (with the exception of the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.)). Students of these programmes are required to earn 12 credit points over the course of their bachelor studies in order to successfully complete their degree.
Extracurricular Courses (EA = Extracurriculare Angebote) are an optional part of the University of Cologne’s Master, Master and Bachelor of Education and State Examination programmes. Students of these programmes are permitted to apply for courses in this category as a voluntary addition to their studies.
Please note: With the exception of students of the Faculty of Medicine, students of all other faculties in the degree programmes listed above may apply for Extracurricular Courses.
You can apply for courses within the framework of Studium Integrale or Extracurricular Courses by following the steps described in the chapter “Applying for Places in Courses”. The following explains the steps for applying for Studium Integrale courses. Application for Extracurricular Courses works correspondingly.
1. Click on the Registration Status application in the Application Menu.
2. The application Registration Status will appear. In a tabular overview, your degree programme will be displayed.
- If you are studying one subject, that one subject will be displayed.
- If you are studying more than one subject, you will find your complete degree programme on the first row and in the following rows the different parts of your degree programme (see screenshot below).
3. Click on the Curriculum Number in the column "Curriculum" to open the curriculum of your degree programme in the "Curriculum Support".
Please note: If you are studying more than one subject, you will find the Studium Integrale courses in the curriculum of your degree programme (see screenshot).
4. In the "Curriculum Support" window, you will then find the courses offered within the framework of Studium Integrale. By clicking on the "+/-"-Symbols, you can expand or collapse the curriculum.
5. To apply for a course during the application period, navigate the tree stucture until you find the desired course. Click on the top green arrow () that is to the right of the course title. For better planning, the names of the lecturer as well as time and place of the course's first session are displayed in the columns of the tabular view.
6. The window "Course Registration - Select Degree Programme and Node of Curriculum Version" will appear. In the choice box Degree Programme, you will see your degree programme and below that the part of your curriculum tree where the course you are applying for is offered. Activate the Selection Field for the desired exam node of the chosen course.
Please note: In some cases, multiple exam nodes of the same name may appear in one module. In the example above, this is "Kompetenzen für das Studium" offered by the ProfessionalCenter. This means that within the framework of this module, the chosen course can be taken within the context of two exam nodes. The choice of exam node does not matter. Please make sure, however, that you take only one course for each exam node as the respective credit points are valid only once per exam node.
7. Click on Continue.
8. Follow the information provided under "Applying for Courses" from step 9.
9. To prioritise applications, follow the information provided under "Prioritising Course Applications".
Please note: In KLIPS 2.0 all course places are allocated according to a specific procedure to determine the sequence of admissions. For each faculty at least one such procedure is in place. There are two different procedures: the course place request procedure and the first come, first served procedure. Course applications with a prioritising option may be prioritised according to preference, as long as places for these courses are allocated according to the same ranking procedure. Prioritisation may be done across modules, in some cases also across subjects, however not across faculties.
Within the framework of Studium Integrale or Extracurricular Courses the procedure to determine the sequence of admissions usually complies with that of the faculty offering the course. In addition, there is a separate "Studium Integrale" procedure for courses that are offered exclusively for Studium Integrale or Extracurricular Courses. The ProfessionalCenter, for instance, has its own "Studium Integrale" procedure.
For detailed information about the allocation of places please read the chapters "Allocation of Places" and "Allocation Results".