Faculty of Medicine: Applying for Courses (Clinical Semesters)
Please note: As of summer semester 2016, all students of the Faculty of Medicine in Clinical Semesters will use KLIPS 2.0 for applications.
The following instructions for general and individual registration explain how to apply for courses in the first clinical semester. Students in later semesters follow the same procedure.
How to Register
Prerequisite: medical preliminary examination ("Physikum")
1. Go to your Personal Business Card.
2. Click on the Course Planning - Registration application.
3. The application Course Planning - Registration will open. Three choice boxes will appear. Choose:
- "Humanmedizin" in the choice box Curriculum,
- the semester, i.e. winter or summer, in the choice box Semester in Academic Year,
- for the first clinical semester "5th Semester" (or correspondingly for the following semesters) in the choice box Recommended Semester in Curriculum.
4. Click on Continue.
5. In a tabular overview, the groups as well as the available places in each group will be shown. To view the dates of the groups, click on the link Dates in the corresponding row.
6. To register for a group, click on Register in the row of the preferred group. After registration, the buttons will change to "Info" and "Deregister".
7. If you would like to leave the group you have registered for, click on Deregister.
Viewing Dates in Your Calendar
You have an overview of all your courses in your calendar.
1. Go to your Personal Business Card by clicking on your name on the top right of the page.
2. Click on the Calendar application.
Please note: Exam dates (marked in red) only become visible after the application period is over. Further information about the calendar application can be found here.
Please note: For the 1st clinical semester, there are 5 cases where separate an Individual Registration is required in addition to the General Registration.
1. Querschnittsblock QB 2 "Geschichte, Theorie und Ethik der Medizin (History, Theory and Ethics of Medicine)" (Internship)
Please note: Please ensure that the date of the internship does not overlap with another rotation internship of your group. The rotation plans can be found here: http://medfak.uni-koeln.de/20189.html
2. OSCE-1-Exam (For queries, send an e-mail to: email@example.com)
3. Progress Test
4. Wahlpflichtblock (Compulsory Elective Block)
5. Other faculty courses, e.g. entrance to clinical part of studies (White Coat Ceremony)
Procedure using the example of "Geschichte und Ethik (Praktikum) [History and Ethics (Internship)]":
1. Go to your Personal Business Card.
2. Click on the Registration Status application in the application menu.
3. The application Registration Status will appear. In a tabular overview, the degree programme "Humanmedizin" will be displayed. Click on Humanmedizin in the column "Name of Degree Programme" or on the corresponding Curriculum Number in the column "Curriculum".
4. The curriculum appears in the form of a tree structure in the window "Curriculum Support".
Please note: By clicking on the "+/-"- symbols, you can expand or collapse the curriculum.
5. In the navigation area, click on Semester Plan in the row "View". The semester plan will appear.
6. In the column "Node Filter-Name", click on 5th Semester (students who are in later semesters choose the corresponding later semester, i.e. 6th to 10th semester).
7. Open "Querschnittsblock Geschichte, Theorie, Ethik der Medizin" and then "Geschichte, Theorie, Ethik der Medizin - Kleingruppenunterricht" by clicking the "+"-symbols.
8. To register for the internship, click on the green arrow () to the right of the title "Geschichte und Ethik Praktikum".
9. The window "Course Registration - Select Degree Programme and Node of Curriculum Version" will appear. In the choice box Degree Programme you will see your degree programme and below that the part of the curriculum tree where the internship is offered. Activate the Choice Box of the exam node "Geschichte, Theorie, Ethik der Medizin - Kleingruppenunterricht".
10. Click on Continue. The window "Course Registration - Select Group" will appear. You will then be provided with an overview of multiple offered internships.
Please note: On the very right in the column "Time/Place (1st Date)", you can see the first date of the internship. By hovering the mouse over the clock symbol, a tool tip will also show you where the internship is taking place. By clicking on the clock symbol, all dates of the internship will open in a separate window.
11. Click on the Register button next to the title of the internship for which you would like to apply.
12. The page will be updated. Under "Current Status" at the top of the page, you will see the internship for which you are registered. You may also Deregister or Re-Register for a different internship here.